TimberTech Drink Rail
Innovative solutions to suit your lifestyle: Drink rail design uses a TimberTech deck board to create the perfect-sized top rail for relaxing and entertaining.
NOTE: DeckMart offers three lines of TimberTech Classic Series railing: Premier, Radiance, & Drink Railing. The only difference between these three lines is the top rail. The railing section itself is identical for all three lines. This design simplifies installation and purchasing – thank you TimberTech!
Get started with the simple steps below to purchase your TimberTech railing deck supplies.
We strongly recommend following the TimberTech Classic Series Railing installation guide for best results.
Step 1: Select TimberTech Railing Kits
Choose your colour
- TimberTech Classic Series Drink railing is available in two colours: White & Black
Determine the number of sections
- Make a drawing of your deck and determine how many TimberTech railing sections you will need.
- Try to make all railing sections on a row the same size. (For 20 feet of railing, create four 5' sections with 6’ rails or three approximately 7' sections with 8' rails – rather than 6', 6', 8')
- Section length is measured from the center of the post to the center of the post. Therefore, the actual size of 6' or 8' sections will be slightly less than six or eight feet.
Determine the number of Universal Bottom Rails
- For the drink rail, you will purchase stand-alone TimberTech Universal Bottom Rails instead of the regular top rail
- One section of railing = one Universal Bottom Rail
- Order the same quantity of TimberTech Universal Bottom Rails as the number of sections in your deck railing.
- The decking board (top rail in this case) should be installed (face-screwed) on the top of the Universal Bottom Rail.
- Use Starborn Pro Plug System for no-show screw installation.
- Please note that TimberTech decking boards with scalloped profiles or grooves do not qualify as a top rail for the drink rail design.
Which rail kit is right for me?
- If you choose a TimberTech Classic Series Universal Rail kit, skip Step 3, since these kits include composite balusters.
- TimberTech "Laser etched" Universal Rail Packs are designed to be used ONLY with aluminum baluster infill, glass infill, and cable railing.
- TimberTech Universal Rail Packs are designed to be used ONLY with composite baluster infills.
Step 2: Select Post Kits
- When you select post kits for TimberTech Classic Series railing, you can choose 5"x5" posts or 5.5"x5.5" posts.
- Please note that these are TimberTech post sleeves and must be installed over 4x4 lumber posts or TimberTech Railing Secure Mount Posts (see Step 4).
- For a clean, seamless look, choose TimberTech post sleeves, caps, and skirt deck supplies of the same colour.
- Below are TimberTech Classic Series post kits in two separate sections with 5"x5" and 5.5"x5.5" options.
Step 3: Balusters
Step 3: Balusters
- Use 29" balusters for 36" railing
- Use 31" balusters for 36" railing (with less than 2” gap between deck & bottom rail)
- Use 35” for 42” railing
- Use 37” for 42” railing (with less than 2” gap between deck & bottom rail)
- If the deck/porch height is above-grade 5' or more, your handrail should be 42" high (from the deck surface).
- If the deck/porch height is less than 5' above-grade, your handrail should be 36" high (from the deck surface).
- If the deck/porch height is less than 2' above-grade, a railing is not required.
Step 4: Parts
Step 4: Parts
- TimberTech Railing Universal Hardware Kit is compatible with Classic Composite Series Railing.
- If you are creating two or more sections out of one standard railing section, you will need additional hardware kits.
- The Secure-Mount Post and Deck Mounting Kit allow for installation of railing posts directly onto a deck or porch surface without using a 4x4 treated post.
- The Secure-Mount Post is designed for use on decks and concrete surfaces.
Step 4: Final touches - TimberTech LED lighting
- Under-Rail Lights
- Accent Lights
- In-Deck Lights
- Island Caps
- Post Cap lights
- Riser lights
TimberTech LED Lighting for drink rail
TimberTech Gate Kit
Gate kit installation tips:
- Gate kit allows for openings up to 48”.
- Gates should always swing away from the stairs when opening.
- Be sure to install on a post that is plumb; this is critical for the gate to operate properly.
- Gate should be installed with composite balusters only.
- Installation is easiest with two people.